Kade Young gives a church tech tour on the AV upgrades they have implemented over the past year and a half. Although they have outgrown their current 100-seat room and anticipate moving to a larger venue soon, the team continues investing in incremental improvements to their production quality. From lighting and acoustics to wireless mics and mixing tools, a number of behind-the-scenes enhancements aim to elevate the in-room and online experience for their congregation.
- They upgraded to ProPresenter 7 to allow firing of backing track cues over the network to sync lyrics perfectly. Overall it works well for them.
- Lighting is still using an old light board, hope to upgrade to software lighting eventually.
- Still using an X32 mixer – it works well for mixing and recording.
- Added a reference microphone and RTA software to visually monitor and EQ the room sound. Helps dial in better consistency.
- Upgraded stage wash lights with RGB curtain lights for better visual interest.
- Added a tool chest backstage for tidy wireless mic storage and charging. Has a power strip built in to easily charge all mics.
- Upgraded wireless mics to Sennheiser EWD units with better clarity. Using high end capsules for main singers. Antenna relocated for better line of sight.
- Frustrations with new playback interface not always connecting properly to iPad.
- Upgraded drum mics and added cymbal shields for better drum sound.
- Upgraded to a nice weighted acrylic podium for pastor.
- They have outgrown their current building after adding a 2nd service. Excited for potential future content around outfitting a new, larger venue.
Incremental tech upgrades demonstrate good stewardship in making the most of what they have. From revolutionizing their wireless mic workflow to sculpting a balanced room mix—the crew creatively innovates on a budget. And who knows what fun new gear they might unbox when they finally land that larger dream space!